Monday, January 27, 2014

Day 4

Today is the day I announced (on Facebook) that Katie has finally hit "baseline" ... for the past 4 days her behavior has been consistently getting healthier! She is talking more, focused on activities, full of joy, engaging in imaginative play, and more responsive to questions. First of all - praise God! Now here's a little more of the story ...

Last Friday was the scariest experience I have ever had as a parent since Katie's birth! At 7pm she suddenly closed her eyes and became completely unresponsive; even to pain. I called 911 and she was taken by ambulance to our closest hospital ... thankfully the standard of care is amazing since we now live in a major city! She received what I believe was the very best care possible!!! After 45 minutes of what appears to have been seizure activity and 2 doses of Valium she was resting and snoring lightly in her hospital bed of the ER. She also had to undergo a CT Scan and a lumbar puncture. The incredible doctor who performed the lumbar puncture was the perfect man for the job ... a father with 3 little girls very close to my little ones' ages and medical training that included an extensive rotation in pediatrics, he confidently completed the procedure advancing the needle ever so slowly.

So far all of her tests have come back negative ... no meningitis, no bleeding in her brain, no detectable infection of any kind. What could have caused this? That question remains unanswered over a week later. The positives that came out of this horrifying experience: 1. She was transferred to Children's Hospital where I now have access on an outstanding pediatric neurology team, 2. She has an appointment with an incredible pediatric neurologist who was no longer taking new patients, 3. I was previously told that she could not be seen by anyone for 4-6 months before this incident and we now have an appointment THIS week, 4. With her having been so sick she did not eat anything for about 48 hours.

Why is it good that she didn't eat anything for about 48 hours? Well, we were able to clear her system of anything that should not have been in there, and when she was finally able to eat I was VERY intentional in what I allowed. Strict adherence to "safe" foods - specific brands of pears, rice, chicken, turkey, pork, celery, green peas, onion, mayonnaise, eggs, and quinoa. Basically she has been eating chicken salad, turkey and chicken burgers, special rice flour bread, scrambled eggs, roasted chicken, pork roast, green peas, special fried rice (or the same recipe made with quinoa), and her favorite special pear pie recipe. I made certain that she did not come in contact with any of her known problem foods: gluten, casein, soy, corn, tapioca, bananas, chocolate, and coconut. I also strictly followed the Feingold Stage 1 diet. Unfortunately she had an IV with dextrose (which is another name for corn sugar) and that really messed her up, but once it cleared her system she became a whole new kid!

Today is an amazing day filled with hope! 


No comments:

Post a Comment