Sunday, February 5, 2017

Curves in the Road

The street I live on curves at both ends. These curves in the road have brought me great frustration over the years. At one end is a drain that always seems to collect leaves that cause flooding, and the other end becomes dangerously icy most winters. I have battled the city repeatedly requesting for both issues to be resolved to no avail. The one benefit of my street is that the only traffic is created by my neighbors.

I have heard quite a few sermons addressing the topic of neighbors. At a time where technology prevails, and direct human contact is decreasing, it's important to remind communities of a simpler time when neighbors sat on the front porch sipping lemonade together. I am blessed! On our street we wave and smile, have entire conversations while standing in the middle of the road, and know all the kids' names. Just last week one of my neighbors gave me a dozen eggs when I frantically realized I had run out after my kids were in bed.

The funny thing about my street is that because of those stupid curves, and the lack of traffic, we generally come to the intersections at either end with our vehicles positioned in the middle of the road. Today was one of those rare occasions where I was making a left turn onto my street and my neighbor was at the intersection positioned in the middle of the road. As my eyes met his we both smiled, waved, gave that knowing look of guilt, and maneuvered our vehicles past each other successfully. I have to admit, I even giggled a little.

As I was taking the garbage out tonight I caught myself scanning the street to see if anyone else was outside. It's nice living beside and across from people I enjoy seeing!


No comments:

Post a Comment